Site: 20,000 sf No. Stories: 2 stories
Prominently located along the Great Highway on the western edge of Golden Gate Park overlooking the Pacific Ocean, the Beach Chalet was vacant for over 10 years before Heller Manus was selected to develop a renovation program for the landmark building, originally designed by Willis Polk in 1925. The renovation included the development of the Golden Gate Park Environmental Visitor's Center and gift shop on the ground floor and the Brewing Company restaurant on the second level. Modifications to the building include the addition of an elevator, new ADA-compliant bathrooms, and new interior finishes that maintain the building's historic character. Specific attention throughout the renovation process focused on preserving the original interior frescos painted by Lucien Labaudt in 1925.